THOMAS/WEBSTER HOUSE HISTORY
1637 —— Pilgrim Trail a native trail dating to prehistoric times, and runs through this property, is incorporated into Plymouth Colony as the first court ordered road.
1640 ——William Thomas an original settler of Marshfield is granted by King Charles I of England 1,000acres, which includes this property.
1774 ——Nathaniel Ray Thomas a Tory (great, great, great, great grandson of William ) built a two story house. By the time of the Revolution, the estate included stables, a carriage house, a
blacksmith shop, a bake house, a smoke house and barns.
1775 ——Nathaniel Ray Thomas is protected from local rebels by a troop of British regulars encamped on his property.s
1779——-Massachusetts Committee of Absentee Estates confiscates the Thomas Estate
1791——The 160 acre estate is returned to John Thomas, a son of Nathaniel Ray Thomas, and a Patriot..
1825-1830—Daniel Webster, his wife Grace and their family visit here after spending time in Sandwich, MA. They then vacationed here as guests of Capt. Thomas. Webster and his family enjoyed
fishing and hunting on this property.
1832——-Webster purchases the 160 acre farm and buildings for $3650 from Captain John Thomas, who at Webster’s insistence retains life tenancy. Thomas’ sons Charles Henry and Ray are hired
to supervise the farm operations.
1837——-Captain Thomas dies and Webster moves into the house, then known as “Green Harbor”. The estate was named for a Captain Green who took refuge in a storm in the outlet of Green River where Webster also had a boathouse and gunning shop. A 3rd story monitor, a one-story surrounding veranda and a rear kitchen ell with attached outbuilding (probably a wood shed and
chaise house) had been added to the house by this time.
1838——-The larger yellow bog pond is excavated and enlarged as a trout pond.
1839——-A law office is constructed beside the Avenue (the road into the estate) near the main house.
1840——-Farm drives, Duck Pond, Webster Pond, Geese Island, Causeway, flower and vegetable gardens are featured as additions on maps and plans.
1843——-Webster’s additional purchases of land extend the property to 1800 acres. His daughter Julia designs and has built a Gothic style library addition to the west end of the house with latticed
veranda surrounding it.
1852——-Webster dies on October 24, and is buried in the Winslow Burying Ground.
1855——-Subdivision of the Webster Estate by his heirs reduces the size of the estate.
1878——-On February 14, the original house and barn are destroyed by fire. Caroline Webster (widow of Daniel’s son Fletcher) has architect William Gibbons Preston design a Queen Anne
Victorian house incorporating tributes to her famous father-in-law.
1880——-The new house built on the original foundation is finished. The library wing and kitchen ell were not rebuilt.
1884——-Caroline Webster sells the Webster Estate to Walton Hall of Marshfield.
1900s——The garage is built and the surviving laundry outbuilding is rebuilt.
1950——-The Hall heirs sell the property to Vincent Cohee who establishes Camp Daniel Webster, a children’s day camp with recreation areas: a target range, an archery shed, a miniature golf
course, a baseball diamond, and a paved basketball court. A roller-skating rink is built at the front of the property. A swimming pool and shed were built in 1964 on the former library
1962——-Ten house lots were purchased by Herbert L. Ray, and houses built on Webster Street. and Winslow Cemetery Road.
1966——-Jim and Phyllis Anderson purchase the Webster Estate and Camp Daniel Webster.
1969——-Webster’s law office is moved to the grounds of the Winslow House for preservation.
1979——-The second Webster barn is demolished due to deterioration.
1985——-The Webster Estate and Camp, which remains open is sold to William Last. Additional land is rezoned for private homes.
1990——The Daniel Webster Preservation Trust is formed for preservation of the property.
1996——The Town of Marshfield purchases the remaining 14 acres of the Thomas-Webster Estate.
2005——The Pilgrim Hall Museum of Plymouth held a decorator’s show house here.
The Daniel Webster Preservation Trust is given a three year lease on the house and property.
2009——The Trust is given a ten year lease.
2013——The Hood Museum at Dartmouth College donates a carriage that belonged to Daniel Webster, and also a large portrait of Daniel painted by Thomas Bailey Lawson (1807-1888).
2015——The Webster Law Office is returned to the property.